Sunday, March 8, 2009

Continuing with the program...

I have been told by Ed that I should post more often. I tried to explain that I was busy working on the other blog but that sounded like a lame excuse even to me. That being said, I herewith include the video below entitled: "Campaign Diaries 2".

As it opens with the Saturday bus ride from Port Authority through the wetlands of northern New Jersey, one may initially think this lacks, perhaps, a short snippet of "America" by Paul Simon. and yes, I would not argue that the tradition of US youth casting off from home on a Greyhound or Trailways was never far from my mind. (However, the one album which I played throughout this period was Rufus Wainwright's "Want One".) This covers the first weekend or two with the camera at my side and Gene at the wheel. I can say without qualification that this may have been the most work, but was also the most satisfying and fun. If we seem to approach missionary zeal it is because we were approaching missionary zeal. If it also seems too relaxed, well--like I said, it was fun. Glum revolutions never happen; a happy cadre is the best advertisement for change. Championing optimism over anger and revenge works wonders for getting people to believe that radical transformation is a good thing.



As for my usual rants, screeds and jeremiads, I'll probably get back to that before long, but, as you may guess, I am still not over the glow...

No comments: